Sunday, October 19, 2008

We Will Have a Seventh Game

I wanted to title this post Big Blame James, but that wouldn't be appropriate. I thought of that witty play on Big Game James in about the 3rd and secretly hoped Shields would blow it so I could have it before the papers. All the credit in this must go to the Red Sox pitching staff. Only four hits given up in the game and the bullpen only allowed two base runners in four innings. Varitek broke out of a slump and threw out a base runner. I give credit to Beckett for that caught stealing, as he hung a curve basically making it a pitchout. Either way the Sox were able to get the ball to the pen with a lead.

Jeers go to TBS. Not getting on air for the first pitch is excusable if there was a power outage at the last minute. Being involved in live broadcasts of games, I understand what can go wrong. But man there was still some goofy stuff. Ron Darling refered to pitcher James Shields' cousin Aaron Rowand as a "hard nosed player." You may remember Rowand had a pretty soft nose a few years ago. I know he is a good player, but the first thing I think of when he is mentioned is his catch and crash.

Later in the game TBS showed a graphic with the title "Stolen Bases in the Postseason vs. Catchers" I waited the rest of the night to see how the stolen base attempts against the other eight players go.

Later still Chip Caray broke one of the rules of play-by-play, follow the ball. He said a foul ball went "back our way, into the seats." After the next pitch they had a replay of the ball getting stuck in a catwalk. Back your way, yes. In the seats, no. I'm glad there is only one more game with TBS, even if it does mean we have Buck and McCarver.

No comments: