Sunday, October 19, 2008

This One Just Didn't Feel Right

I'm not sure what it was about this game, but I didn't feel good all the way. Even when the Sox were down 7 runs with 7 outs left in Game 5 I felt confident. Tonight I was waiting for Aaron Boone. I was nervous as soon as the Rays took the lead. As I walked to the bathroom after J.D. Drew struck out with the bases loaded, I started to eulogize the 2008 Boston Red Sox and look forward to 2009. Maybe it was the different makeup of this team, maybe it was the new younger opponent, maybe it was TBS, but I hadn't felt this nervous since 2003.

It feels weird to be the loser again. The Sox hadn't lost a playoff series since the Division Series to the White Sox in '05, and frankly that '05 team could have murdered half of Dorchester in a fit of roid rage and no one would have cared after the team won in '04.

Looking forward for Boston, I like how they shape up. A good young core of pitchers, more outfielders than they need, and a great infield. The main question is Jason Varitek. He's 36 and is a free agent. I want him to retire with the Sox. I think it would be best to start using him at first base, but if Mike Lowell is good to go theres no open slots in the infield.

Tip of the cap to the Tampa Bay Rays, I'm sure we'll see you play the Sox again.

No comments: